OUR HISTORIC LODGE
A HISTORIC YELLOWSTONE LODGE
The lodge was built in 1924 by Henry and Bertha Dahlem. Henry Dahlem was the first sheriff of Park County. The family operated a sawmill located approximately three-fourths of a mile up Grinnell Creek, where they milled all the timber for the construction of the lodge and cabins. The first cabins were small and shared a central bath house. The lodge was originally named Red Star Camp and Mercantile until after the war when the family changed the name to Shoshone Lodge. The large dining hall and trophy great room area were completed in 1932.
Most of the cabins that you see today were constructed in the late 1920s to 1940s. Many of the original cabins first built are still located on property and are located near the corral area. They are used for tack and storage sheds.
Around 1950, Henry and Bertha’s son Harry took over operations of the lodge with his young wife, Betty. The family also built a ski area which was originally located above the lodge area but was soon moved to the other side of the Shoshone River on the shadier north-facing slopes. Harry died at the young age of 37 in March of 1954, leaving Betty widowed with a 2-year-old son, Keith, a 6-month-old baby girl, Debbie, and a business to run.
In 2006, Debbie's son Mike and his wife Betsy purchased Shoshone Lodge where they continue to preserve a fourth-generation family legacy that Mike's great-grandparents started almost 100 years ago.